Monday, July 27, 2009

MPC 60



Thes One (of People Under The Stairs) gave me a stand for MPC. He used to use it for his MPC 3000. I use MPC 60, which is bigger than 3000, but since I could adjust the stand depending on the size of the equipment, it fits perfectly as you can see it in the photos.
MPC 60 is the earliest version of MPC Akai made. It was designed by legendary Roger Lynn. He also designed MPC 3000. It came out late 80s and had been used by many well-known producers, such as Diamond D and Large Pro. Since I got it, I upgraded the OS to the one for MPC 3000, expanded the memory, and added SCSI connection. Now, it can have more samples, has more sampling time, and can connect zip drive. It became a really nice machine after those modification.
I really like how samples sound on MPC 60. Its sampling rate is 12 bit. It makes the sample sound rough (in a good way). I don't know if it is just because of the sampling rate, but it has very unique sound.
I also like the sequencer on MPC 60. Since it is an old machine, it does not play samples exactly how it is programed. The difference is very little, but enough to give natural feel and groove to the beat.
Also, I like how it looks. It's huge and looks really old. It adds some flavor to my set up.

Chikara
LA

1 comment:

  1. I'll never sell my MPC! Never stop diggin' and samplin'!

    ReplyDelete