Friday, June 19, 2009

Red Bull "The Business of Music" forum







My friend, Inka sent me the info about this forum. He helps promoting the events Red Bull Music Academy throws. This forum took place in Irvine yesterday. Since I wanted to know what Red Bull Music Academy does, I decided to attend.
The forum was going to start at 7pm. I left the office at 5:30pm. I thought it would take at least hour and half to get there, but the traffic wasn't too bad. I got there around 6:30pm. Because there was a Red Bull custom mini in front of the venue, it was easy to find it.
One drink ticket was provided to all attendants and there was free food, which was really good. I regret I had 3 hamburgers at McDonald's before I left LA. I still ate a lot of those free food though.
The forum began with Om'Mas's (of Sa-Ra) interview. He talked about how he got into this industry and how he met Taz and Shafiq (they were also there). He didn't mention anything about Kanye and G.O.O.D. music label. Weren't they supposed to have an album with G.O.O.D.?
After Om'Mas talked about 45 minutes, Ras MG (Sublime), Nate (Stones Throw Records), Dam Funk, DJ Truly Odd, Taz (Sa-Ra), and Shafiq (Sa-Ra) joined and each of them explained how the recent change in the music industry affected them and how they adjusted themselves. Then, Q&A time. There probably were many musicians in the crowd. There was an interesting discussion between the panelists and crowd. I wanted to ask what happen to their deal with Kanye, but I didn't. I'm glad I didn't ask. Overall, the forum was very interesting and encouraging. For more info about Red Bull Music Academy, visit their web site. They were videotaping the entire forum. I assume it will be uploaded at their site soon.

Chikara
LA

No comments:

Post a Comment